Date: December 8, 1941 (April 5, 2017 Weeknight Game)
Location: Clark Air Field, Luzon, Philippines
Situation: Japanese Aircraft Surprise Clark Field
Several regional gamers have WWII Commonwealth, Japanese and USA air (1:285-300), land (28mm) and naval (1:2400) forces for the Pacific Theatre. So --- here we go with our first story.
DECEMBER 8, 1941, CLARK AIR FIELD, LUZON, PHILIPPINES
A6M2 Mitsubishi Zeros fly at treetop level.
A lone USA anti-aircraft battery opens up without effect.
WWII commences in the Philippines.
It was a forlorn hope the Japanese would never attack.
B-17s in the upper left are preparing for a mission as the attack comes in.
P40Es were based to the south at Nichol's Field near Manila.
P40Bs were based at Iba.
The Bettys doggedly flew to the B-17s bombing and strafing the latter destroying two and heavily damaging a third.They with Nomura's Zeros successfully fought off intercepting P40s.
As the Japanese turn to return to base only two of six P40s are still engaged. Both are pursing Betty bombers, one of which on the far left has lost an engine
1) Vegetation mats simulating the jungle canopy came from Michael's Craft Stores. Buildings are GHQ as are many of the aircraft. Matt and John provided all Japanese aircraft. Matt also brought B-17s. All were beautifully painted. Vegetation and runways are Chuck's or inspired by him.
2) Rules? Well we use a private home-brewed hybrid of Bag The Hun. Aircraft bases are from Check Your Six though we don't use dial readings on them.
3) Japanese Pilots: John B. and Chuck L.
4) USA Pilots: Matt L. and yours truly Bill P.
5) Wagner was a pilot and became the first American ACE of WWII in the Philppines in 1942. All other names are fictitious. The scenario is adapted from historical events - imagineered.
5) There is a South Pacific Campaign brewing. Perhaps the above could serve as a prelude to those future game activities.
6) We had fun. --- Your swell remarks are welcome at Comments below. Sayōnara.
********** ********** ********** **********